29 March 2012

Character Of The Day

On my way to work this morning, some guy driving a 2010 Mustang and smoking a cigarette for a stretch of about two or three miles, pissed me off and I'm talking royally pissed. It wasn't a road rage moment either. He didn’t cut me off or anything. Didn’t slam on brakes. Nothing like that. It started out innocent enough as I drove behind him listening to Lady Gaga’s Poker Face. I was genuinely fascinated by how he smoked his cancer stick.

I watched him with his left arm out the window, cigarette pinched between index finger and thumb. You’d have thought he was smoking a joint.  The arm didn't stay out long though. It seemed like every two seconds his arm would go back inside the car for a puff, then...arm back out the window, flick ashes, arm back in car two seconds later. This went on until I had to turn. However, right before I made my left turn, this guy chucks his filthy cigarette out his car window and it hits my car! WTF??

I have a convertible, so can you imagine what could have happened had I had my top down? That butt and its fiery tip might have managed to find their collective way into my car! Why are people so inconsiderate?

Okay, imagine this.

What if it landed on my lap and I swerved off the road and hit someone? Would it be my fault?

What if I was on an errand to retrieve a gallon of gasoline for a sweet old lady broke down on the side of the road somewhere? What if said cigarette butt found its way into my car then? I don't know. What if it maybe managed to ignite the gallon of gasoline I'd just purchased, leaving my husband a widower with two motherless children?

What if these were the 1980's and I'd just sprayed a fresh load of Aqua Net onto my big hair? What if the cigarette butt managed to find its way into my car then? Do you think my 80's style hair would ignite, leaving me wrecked on the side of the road because I'd tried to save my hair from melting off the top of my head?

That was the only character worth talking about today. Why? Because I was so pissed that I’ve remained in my office the entire day so as to not have to deal with people. I'll shake it off eventually, but for now, I better remain at a distance. 

26 comments:

  1. Is that the real picture of the guy? You weren't taking photos and driving - were you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahah, Vicki. No, it's not. I did a Google search on "smoking drivers" and then picked the one that reminded me of him. But that's funny.

      Delete
  2. Um, that's also littering. All of this is wrong on so many levels. (On his part, I mean.) Sorry he ruined your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At that very moment, Kelly, I wish I were a police officer so I could pull him over and write him a ticket!

      thanks for your support. :)

      Delete
  3. You know what I got from all of this...you drive a convertible??? hehehe...okay, kidding. :) That's awful!!! I hate when I see smokers just casually flick their cigarette out the window like it's nothing. What the hell is that?? Excuse me, Mr. Wild Fire???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, thank you SO much for inspiring this post!!!!

      lol

      You have now inspired me to find "character of the day" as a new thematic response to the world when I want to tout improvement and informing the world why I am not making progress.

      Delete
    2. Living in Southern California, cigarette hanging out the window is likely to start that wild fire, let alone the butt he tossed. Maybe it should have been the one attached to his carcass.

      My dad used to toss his cigarettes out the window. Supposedly he stubbed them out first in the ash tray, but one went out his window and returned through the back window (no air-conditioning back then) and struck my brother in the eye (and still had live embers). The best one, though, was when he tried to throw one out and forgot the window was closed.

      Delete
    3. Makes one wonder how many car accidents happened because someone attempted to chuck a butt!

      Delete
  4. I had that happen before, and it pissed me off, too! It is just so disrespectful. I'm mad all over again just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes you want to do something back if you were in front of them. Maybe they don't like bananas, so you could chuck a banana peel out your window while they drive behind you. I know it's a bad thing and two wrongs don't make a right, but it's so awful!

      Thanks for giving input, too. Makes me not feel so bad for my rant! lol

      Delete
  5. 80's hairspray onto 80's hair. Great look. Thanks for the memories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, trust me. I had my hair singed in middle school because of 80's hairspray! I know. :)

      Delete
  6. And the guy probably never even knew he hit you with it. You'd think basic consideration of others would apply here. Glad the top was up on your car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just think, even with the top up, at the right moment, both of us coming to a stop...his cigarette could have landed on my "cloth top" and while I sat at a stop light, the thing could have successfully put a burn hole on it. :(

      Delete
  7. You remind me of Thomas King. Funny but serious. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have to go and Google "Thomas King"! lol

      Thank you, I think. ;)

      Delete
  8. You wrote that so well I got angry for you...then found myself laughing at Aquanet!! Perfect visual and he should end up as a character in a story someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Kellee! Yea, Aquanet is very flammable stuff (I know from experience). Well, it used to be, but I don't use it anymore. I'm glad you can laugh at it, because I try to make things humorous for the entertainment value, not just ranting and fuming all day. :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      p.s. He will end up as my villain in my current WIP. My heroine throws a lit, decorative oil lamp at him and he catches fire. Mwahahaha.

      Delete
  9. What a royal d--bag! I'd be pissed, too. Taking some time for yourself was probably the best thing to do. Sorry you had to deal with such a loser!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks randi. I felt much better after getting a good night's sleep! lol

      Delete
  10. Argh! That's so rude when people just chuck stuff out their windows!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very rude, even if it's something bio-degradable. You can still hurt someone else, poke them in the eye or any number of things we don't think about until it happens!

      Delete
  11. I usually end up mad at someone's poor or inconsiderate driving almost everyday. The other day I tried to pass someone driving 40 on the highway. As soon as I pulled into the passing lane he speeds up and it was like a drag race with us driving side by side. Then I saw a semi headed straight for me so I sped up to 80 to get around the jerk. I wanted to run the guy off the road but instead I did deep breathing exercises to try to calm down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahha. The dude in the semi probably thought you were being a jerk to him (coming at him 80 mph). :D

      I hate it when drivers do that, speed up when you're trying to pass them because they are driving like grannies! Too funny.

      Delete
  12. That is annoying. Many people do things without thinking of the consequences, and yes when you think about it a lot of dangerous scenarios are possible. Glad you are safe. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *